Sunday, February 8, 2009

Time Flies...

Wow, I absolutely cannot believe that it's already February 8th! We have just been keeping so busy all this month, and the time has just gotten away from us. Ryan has been working very hard at his golf (and doing very well, I might add!). I have still been recovering from my surgery-sleeping has been my last obstacle. I'm finally back in my own bed, so hopefully this phase is wrapping up. It's driving me so nutty that I still cannot see my scar! It's been 2 weeks since my surgery, and the stinkin' Steri-Strips are still on. My doctor said that they should fall off sometime around now (and to leave them on until they willingly fall off), but until then...I'm left in suspense. I tried putting some vaseline around the edges to loosen them :). I'm so impatient!
We went to the Dallas Stars game on Thursday, and that was such a blast! They won, so that made it even more fun.
This weekend, Ryan shot a 61 (11 under par) at Trophy Club and tied the course record! Also this weekend, I started volunteering at this equestrian physical therapy place called Rocky Top Therapy Center. It's a ranch that boards horses and operates a few different rehabilitation programs. One program (Hippotherapy) is designed for disabled children and adults who get to have riding sessions to improve physical disabilities under the direction of a physical therapist. Another program (Trail Blazers) is for people with behavioral disorders. They also have a cowboy challenge course and host a variety of events including birthday parties. All of their proceeds keep the ranch financially afloat and enable them to keep up the therapy programs. I really had a great time (I love horses to begin with!) and think that this is something I will really enjoy doing for a long time. They said that these feelings will only intensify once I begin to build bonds with the riders and get to know their situations. Saturday night we went out bowling with mom, dad, Aimee, Anson, Sonya, and Olivia. We had so much fun! Today, we went to church then to the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo...note to self for next year: don't wait until the last day to go to the Stock Show! It was kinda fun, but most of the livestock was already gone. They still had a petting zoo, Elsie the Borden Milk mascot, pony rides and pictures (too bad Ryan and I are too big for this one...), and the Midway, but we weren't really big fans of the Midway. While we were there, they had a cow auction and a horse jumping show, so we watched a little of each of those. I have now decided that Ryan, Aimee, and I all need a horse of our own!
Grandma has also been recovering from her second surgery and this week, her twin sister (my Aunt Pat) came in to visit. Aunt Pat has also had a mastectomy, so I'm sure this gave Grandma an opportunity to talk to someone who really understands her situation. She had a follow-up visit with the surgeon this week and had a CT scan of her chest, abdomen, and pelvis. Once the oncologist reviews those results with her, she and the doctors will be able to devise a treatment plan suitable for her individual situation.
We haven't heard much else on Brittany's situation, so please keep her in your prayers as she and the doctors devise the best plan to treat her condition.
Mom seems to be doing better since she got a few days to rest, so we're all very grateful for that.
So that's what we've been up to lately...hope things are going well for you! Have a good week!

No comments: