Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Crazy Things That Happen Around Here...Part 2

So the morning after our little tornado incident, I'm getting ready for work and the news keeps saying something about it raining...whatever, there's not a cloud in the sky! I'm a little shaken from the previous night, but nonetheless, ready for work. I can't really see out any windows at work, but I could certainly hear when the storms did indeed start to pass through, and they must have been torrential! Our patients kept telling us about them, too. When I finally got to peek outside, it really was as bad as they were saying! I start to notice employees running through our clinic, which is quite abnormal. Then...I hear something about our parking garage flooding! What!? Seeing as my car is on the very bottom level of our under-ground parking garage, I understandably start to panic and join the masses running towards the garage staircase. As I'm on my way, I was informed by maintenance that the garage was indeed flooding and the elevators no longer worked because someone took them down the the garage and brought back up about 1 foot of water! Sure enough, there's about a foot of standing water all through the garage! I'm talking to maintenace and they thought at the time there might have been a drainage line clogged, so they didn't really expect it to get much worse-they thought it would be fixed soon and all would be fine. I go back to my desk and continue working with that thought. Well surprise...maintenance was WRONG. I get an email from our emergency notification about the flooding and keep hearing "it's now or never..." from the staff. When I go to check on my car again, I was informed to either get it out of the garage now or it would probably be lost due to damages. Lo and behold...the water is now above my knees! I roll up my pants, take off my shoes and socks, and proceed to swim out to my car...hoping it will start. DISGUSTING. The water was as dark and murky as hot chocolate. I get to my car, open the door, and the water is high enough to wake onto my floorboards! Again, ew, now my car has stinky water damage. Amazingly, my car starts and I drive my little boat out of the garage...almost running over some chick that was jacking around in the middle of the way taking pictures. I was like, look honey, my car isn't stopping because then it would probably flood and not start back up! So you're gonna either move or get knocked out the way! I seriously thought the waves were going to just take my car and me for a ride...but thank goodness we got out safely! I had to park outside my building and just run back in while it was raining...still in my lack-of-shoes and my pants rolled up above my knees. When I get back to the clinic, I head straight to the bathroom, hop up on the counter, and attempt to wash the ICK off my legs! It was quite a site...and I thought it was over...I was very sadly mistaken.

No comments: